Transplantation, Transplantation Direct
The Transplantation Society (TTS) (https://tts.org) is an inclusive, innovative and future-focused society, where both staff and members are thought leaders in advancing knowledge in the service of the field of Transplantation. We are seeking an incumbent who will provide vision and leadership that will enhance our position as a leading Society in the field of Transplantation Sciences through our two journals:
Transplantation (https://journals.lww.com/transplantjournal/pages/default.aspx) and
Transplantation Direct (https://journals.lww.com/transplantationdirect/pages/default.aspx)
Appointment is on the joint establishment of TTS and Wolters Kluwer Health, on the conditions of service of TTS.
Reporting through the President and Council of The Transplantation Society.
- Overall strategic leadership and operational management of the Executive Editorial team of Transplantation and the Editor of Transplantation Direct on behalf of both TTS and Wolters Kluwer health, giving expression to its vision of remaining world-class leading journals in the field.
- Fostering an inclusive and collegial environment that encourages a high level of performance, communication and teamwork.
- Overall responsibility for a strong editorial vision regarding research and innovation, which includes leading, mentoring and participating in TTS strategic priority areas, and fostering collaboration with TTS projects including professional meetings, workshops, and other appropriate forums.
- Providing strong editorial vision and content to increase impact, size, reach and visibility and financial performance of the Society’s journals.
- Together with the WKH and TTS, developing strategies to advance high‐quality content in both print and online formats, as evidenced by metrics such as impact factors, citations, web traffic, and readership numbers.
- Ensuring proper and efficient manuscript flow to guarantee on‐time publication, soliciting content and/or editorials as appropriate.
- Protecting the highest standards of scientific and ethical integrity in published material.
- Staying informed of publications in the field of transplantation, clinical and basic research designs, basic concepts of statistics, and ethics of research and publishing.
- Understanding the guidelines of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors and the Committee on Publication Ethics.
- Selecting and leading a high‐performing international editorial board, review team and guest editors whose knowledge base represents the topics covered in the editorial mission of the journals.
- Responsible for making final decisions on all submitted manuscripts.
- Respecting the integral nature of and close cooperation between Transplantation and Transplantation Direct while fostering the success and growth of both journals.
- A relevant postgraduate degree in the field of transplantation, or relevant research.
- Experience in conducting research as well as research supervision, scientific manuscript publication and editing.
- Proven international recognition as a specialist in the field of Transplantation, with sophistication and breadth of understanding of the scientific, clinical, ethical and social aspects of transplantation.
- TTS membership
- The Editor-in-Chief shall set his/her own working hours; however, it is expected to devote an estimated 20 hours/ week, travel to TTS council meetings as required and attend the TTS biannual congress.
- A leadership style that is inclusionary, develops diversity and is respectful of differing opinions.
- Experience in human resource as well as financial management.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of contemporary publishing issues.
- A track record of capacity building across different regions of the world.
- A track record of dealing with complex ethical issues.
Commencement of Duty
- There will be a six month overlap with the current Editor in Chief between 1 July 2024 and 31 December 2024.
- Full responsibility for the journals will commence on 1 January 2025.
- The initial period of service is for a 5-year term. The term may be renewed for a successive term of three (3) years by mutual agreement.
Closing Date and Admission Process
- Interested applicants are requested to submit an application to The Transplantation Society’s Executive Director at email@example.com by December 31, 2023 including:
- a curriculum vitae
- five academic publications as senior/corresponding author
- a letter of support from the Dean or Department Chair/Head of the person’s academic or clinical affiliation
- a detailed vision statement of not more than 3000 words describing the person’s alignment to the role and to TTS, including a vision for the future for both the journals: Transplantation and Transplantation Direct
Transplantation is an international, peer‐reviewed journal, and has been the world's most frequently cited journal in the field of transplantation for 60 years. Transplantation is consistently ranked among the top impact factor journals in Transplantation, Surgery and Immunology, with a current 1 year Impact Factor of 6.2.
Transplantation Direct, was founded in 2015 as the open access online sibling journal to Transplantation, and has developed a growing role in the publication of papers in the field. It was provided an Impact Factor for 2022 and has a current 1 year Impact Factor score of 2.3 which is above many well established journals in the field.
Both journals publish original scientific research, reviews, and opinion pieces in all fields of transplantation covering clinical, basic and translational science, to provide the international community with information on significant contributions to the advancement of medical, surgical and immunological science impacting transplant practice, health system and patient outcomes.
The copyright for Transplantation is owned by Wolters Kluwer Health (WKH), and is the official journal of The Transplantation Society. Transplantation Direct is jointly owned by Wolters Kluwer Health and The Transplantation Society.
Currently, the editorial team consists of 6 Executive Editors, and approximately 130 Deputy and Associate Editors and a Social Media Editor. Editorial management services are provided by KnowledgeWorks Global Ltd. (KGL). The team of reviewers exceeds 2,000. The Editor-in-Chief is fully responsible for the editorial services needed for the publication of twelve (12) Transplantation monthly issues per year in accordance with an agreed upon production schedule while providing linkage to and oversight of Transplantation Direct.
The Transplantation Society (www.tts.org