Immunosuppression - An Introduction and Cost Effective Options
65.1 - Immunosuppression - An Introduction and Cost Effective Options
Presenter: Zunaid, Barday, Cape Town, South Africa
Authors: Zunaid Barday
The various types and combinations of immunosuppression used in kidney transplantation will be discussed, including basic mechanisms of action. Strategies to reduce costs in resource limited environments will be suggested, based on local experience and KDIGO guideline
Dr Zunaid Barday is a consultant nephrologist at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa. He qualified at the University of Cape Town where he completed his training in internal medicine as a general physician in 2001, before going on to do his nephrology training at the same hospital. Since completing his nephrology training in 2006, he has focused on running the Transplant Clinic at Groote Schuur in conjunction with the Transplant Surgeons, including Prof Del Kahn and Dr Elmi Muller. As the state sector in South Africa is still resource limited, he has experience in using cost-effective options in the renal transplant setting.
You must be logged in to view recordings
By viewing the material on this site you understand and accept that:
- The opinions and statements expressed on this site reflect the views of the author or authors and do not necessarily reflect those of The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections.
- The hosting of material on The Transplantation Society site does not signify endorsement of this material by The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections.
- The material is solely for educational purposes for qualified health care professionals.
- The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections are not liable for any decision made or action taken based on the information contained in the material on this site.
- The information cannot be used as a substitute for professional care.
- The information does not represent a standard of care.
- No physician-patient relationship is being established.