Will the Artificial Pancreas Abolish the Need for Pancreas and Islet Transplantation?
103.1 - Will the Artificial Pancreas Abolish the Need for Pancreas and Islet Transplantation?
Presenter: Pratik, Choudhary, London, UK
Authors: Pratik Choudhary
- Why Patients develop impaired awareness and recurrent SH that require transplantation
- An evidence based pathway for managing those patients
- The current status of technology including closed loop systems
- Relative place of transplantation and technology in the near future
Dr. Choudhary's main research work is based around mechanisms and treatments of hypoglycaemia unawareness, with a special interest in the psychology of patients with recurrent hypoglycaemia, and the changes in the brain that are associated with that seen on neuroimaging. He is also interested in the use of technology in diabetes, with a large clinical and research interest in the use of insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitoring and closed loop insulin delivery. He is also clinical lead for the islet transplant service at King's, and diabetes lead for the pancreas transplantation at Guy's Hospital.
You must be logged in to view recordings
By viewing the material on this site you understand and accept that:
- The opinions and statements expressed on this site reflect the views of the author or authors and do not necessarily reflect those of The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections.
- The hosting of material on The Transplantation Society site does not signify endorsement of this material by The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections.
- The material is solely for educational purposes for qualified health care professionals.
- The Transplantation Society and/or its Sections are not liable for any decision made or action taken based on the information contained in the material on this site.
- The information cannot be used as a substitute for professional care.
- The information does not represent a standard of care.
- No physician-patient relationship is being established.